How to Run an Inbound Marketing Campaign
Creating a marketing plan and a set of procedures is essential to ensuring the success of your virtual company. In this article, we will outline our essential tips for organizing your marketing campaign. We used one of our favorite tools for remote companies, Google Workspace, as an example, but these tips apply to any collaboration software your company may use.
What is inbound marketing?What do we mean when we say inbound marketing? There are countless options for both paid and free advertising for your marketing campaigns. These methods of driving traffic to your campaign are known as inbound marketing. Keep in mind that to get sustained value out of your marketing campaigns, you should continue to promote and revive them over time! Consider starting your marketing journey by creating a list of goals for your company, such as:
- What do you want to accomplish?
- Who is your target audience?
- Which formats will you utilize? (Webinars, ebooks, blogs, etc)
- What service or message are you offering to your target audience?
1. Stay organizedOnce you establish your goals and format, you can focus on getting organized. This all starts with creating a timeline for your ongoing projects. We recommend creating a master spreadsheet, like this: Include links to information about each marketing campaign, the format of the campaign, and the date or timeline of the campaign. Update this spreadsheet as needed, and share with your whole marketing team. You can add additional columns for notes, goals, team assignments, and more.
2. Stay on the Same PageCreate a shared team calendar for meetings, ongoing projects and tasks. You should also document and organize your team meeting notes and summaries to make sure nothing gets lost, and continually track progress on ongoing tasks.
3. Plan Your CampaignFor each advertising or marketing campaign, create and share a planning document in a designated folder within your team’s shared files. Be sure to include:
- Progress tracking
- Links to other relevant documents
- Task assignments
- List of campaign target keywords
- Sections for: What channels will we use to promote the campaign? How frequently will we be promoting the campaign?
4. Organize Campaign ContentOnce you have a plan in place and have shared with your team, it is time to start creating content. The first step should be creating and sharing an outline document with your team, which can be organized into sections, and should include relevant links and graphics. Visual content can be created and separated into sub folders–see an example of this type of organization below:
5. Campaign PromotionWhen it is time to promote your marketing campaign, remember to share your content internally as well as externally. A great way to promote your campaign externally to your existing audience is through email marketing. Email marketing is an essential and effective marketing strategy that can help gain and retain high-quality leads. For internal promotion among your team, consider creating and sharing an internal launch document including promotional graphics, captions, and other information that your team can easily share with their personal networks. One of the most important methods for advertising is SEO, Search engine optimization. SEO is the process of growing the quality and quantity of your website traffic by increasing the visibility of your website on search engines. To implement SEO as an internet marketing strategy, research keywords and search behaviors of your target audience and incorporate these into your content. You can use SEO to generate clicks to your campaign landing page and optimize your blog posts that link to your landing page. Consider incorporating these keywords into your Google Ads strategy. Google Ads is an online advertising platform where advertisers pay to display short advertisements, service offerings, product listings, video content, and generate mobile application installs within the Google ad network to web users. In today’s market, Google is an essential part of being discovered on the internet–they have a near monopoly on web search, 87% of the US market by some estimates. Campaign Promotion Checklist:
- Ensure landing page is optimized for mobile
- Use target keywords in page title
- Keep url structure clean
- Write a compelling meta description
- Targeted email campaigns
- Schedule social posts promoting the campaign launch, each with a new angle/topic/insight to pull people in without being repetitive
- Consider Google Ad words to boost traffic
6. Campaign ResultsOnce you have implemented your marketing campaign, your work is not done! Monitoring your campaign results will be essential to ensuring your success on future campaigns. You can monitor key campaign metrics using Google Analytics, Hubspot, or a variety of similar tools. The key metrics to pay attention to will vary based on the kind of campaign you run, but be sure to create a spreadsheet to keep track of them. See an example of this type of spreadsheet below: Consider these questions to reflect on with your team:
- Which sources (paid, organic, social?) drove the most traffic to our campaign’s landing page?
- Which sources drove the most qualified (likely to convert to leads) traffic?
- Which sources drove the least amount of/least qualified traffic?
- If we were to launch the campaign again what would we do differently?
Stay updated on the latest virtual workforce news and solutions.